This work aimed to study the prev-alence of IgG and IgM antibodies to HEV among Egyptian children presenting with acute hepatitis and jaundice (100 patients) by means of a solid phase enzyme immunoassay (EIA) based on two recomhinant hep-atitis E virus antigens (Abbott Labora¬tories).
It was found that the prevalence of anti-HEV IgM and IgG antibodies was 8% and anti-HEV IgG alone 16% and the total cases of HEV infection is 24%. There was no significant differ-ence with various specific age group, sex, residence, water supply, but there is significant difference with sewage disposal between groups as regard causative virus.
Total serum bilirubin, direct serum bilirubin and serum glutamic pyruvic transaminase showed significant ele-vations in HEV in comparison to other viruses and serum albumin is least af¬fected.
Among the study group 53% had anti-HAV IgM, 7% had HBsAg with or without HBc antibodies, 6% had HCV antibodies and in 10% of cases we. don't reach the etiologic virus,
In conclusion, HEV is endemic in Kaliobiya and there should be improvement of socioeconomic standard, sewage disposal, water supply as well as health education about personal environmental hy-giene.